#### Readings marked with ++ in front are required
## Please sign up to present a reading!
You may present any reading from the week, requried or not.
Use the google spreadsheet here: http://bit.ly/1NNXMy7.
## State of affairs at UC Berkeley
- ++ Pauker, Madeleine. July 13, 2015. [UC Berkeley’s persistent lack of faculty diversity prompts efforts to address issue.](http://www.dailycal.org/2015/07/12/uc-berkeleys-persistent-lack-of-faculty-diversity-prompts-efforts-to-address-issue/) The Daily Californian.
- Campus Climate Surveys: project by the Division of Equity and Inclusion to assess the student experience
- ++ [Where do we go from here? Highlights from the Campus Climate Survey at the University of California, Berkeley](http://diversity.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/general/uc_berkeley_campus_climate_report_-_where_do_we_go_from_here.pdf) 2015. UC Berkeley: Division of Equity and Inclusion
- [The Intersection of Campus Climate and the Student Experience.](http://opa.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/NACADA%202014%20-%20Campus%20Climate%20and%20the%20Student%20Experience%20FINAL%20%281%2908_28.pdf) March 26, 2014. UC Berkeley: Division of Equity and Inclusion
- [Assessing Undergraduate Campus Climate Trends at UC Berkeley](http://opa.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/StayDay2013-CampusClimateTrends.pdf). 2013. UC Berkeley: Division of Equity and Inclusion
- [Using UCUES to Assess Campus Climate Trends and Current Status at UC Berkeley](http://opa.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/UCBerkeleyStayDay2012Handout08_28.pdf) 2012. UC Berkeley: Division of Equity and Inclusion
- ++[The University of California, Statement on Diversity](http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html)
- [Report on the UC Berkeley Faculty Salary Equity Study.](http://vpf.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/Equity%20Study%20Report%20final%201-26-15%20--revised.pdf) Jan 2015. UC Berkeley: Office of the Provost
## The Mechanics
- ++ Project Implicit. Harvard University. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
- Take the Implicit Association Test.
- ++ Manjoo, Farhad. Sept 24, 2014. [Exposing Hidden Bias at Google.](http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/technology/exposing-hidden-biases-at-google-to-improve-diversity.html?_r=0) New York Times
- Some companies such as Google have started requiring this test to make employees (especially managers) aware of their biases.
- ++ Steele, Claude M. and Joshua Aronson. 1995. [Stereotype Threat and the Intellectual Test Performance of African Americans.](http://mrnas.pbworks.com/f/claude+steele+stereotype+threat+1995.pdf). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- This study measured the effects on African Americans.
- Consequences. [Reducing Stereotype Threat](http://reducingstereotypethreat.org/consequences.html).
- More examples of how stereotype threat can influence the behaviors of a wide range of people. It does not only affect minority or underprivileged groups.
- Peck, Tabitha, et al. 2013. [“Putting Yourself in the Skin of a Black Avatar Reduces Implicit Racial Bias.”](http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810013000597) Consciousness and Cognition
- ++ Clance, Pauline Rose., and Suzanne Imes. 1978. [The Imposter Phenomenon in High Achieving Women: Dynamics and Therapeutic Intervention.](http://www.paulineroseclance.com/pdf/ip_high_achieving_women.pdf) Psychotherapy Theory, Research and Practice.
- This paper coined the term "imposter syndrome."
## Microaggressions and the Language of EID
- ++ Kingkade, Tyler. July 9, 2015. [Universities are Trying to Teach Faculty How to Spot Microaggressions](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/universities-microaggressions_559ec77be4b096729155bfec). Huffington Post.
- Sue, Derald Wing and David Rivera. [Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Blog](https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/microaggressions-in-everyday-life)
- Derald Sue is a researcher at Columbia University who played a leading role in developing a list of microaggressions used at many campus diversity trainings.
####Language of Equity and Inclusion
- ++ [“30 Ways To Be a Better Ally in 2015 — Everyday Feminism.”](http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/01/30-ways-to-be-a-better-ally-in-2014/) 2015. Accessed July 23.
- [“Stop Being So Attached!: A Beginner’s Guide on Problematic Language — Everyday Feminism.”](http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/02/guide-on-problematic-language/) 2015. Accessed July 23.
#### Institutional Racism
- Smooth, Jay. Jan 22, 2014. [Moving The Race Conversation Forward](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGQaz1u3V4)
##Whiteness and White Privilege
- ++ McIntosh, Peggy. 1988. [White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack. ](http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf)
- ++ Coates, Ta-Nehisi. June 2014. [The Case for Reparations](http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/). The Atlantic.
- ++ [Act Two: If You See Racism Say Racism.](http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/557/birds-bees?act=2) May 15, 2015. This American Life.
- Comedian Kamau Bell describes a bad experience at Elmwood Cafe, a restaurant in Berkeley.
- ++ DiAngelo, Robin. 2011. [White Fragility.](https://libjournal.uncg.edu/index.php/ijcp/article/view/249) The International Journal of Critical Pedagogy.
- A common obstacle to having meaningful conversations is the defensiveness of the majority group.
- Metta, John. July 10, 2015. [I, Racist.](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-metta/i-racist_b_7770652.html) Huffington Post.
- Gusa, D. L. (2010). [White institutional presence: The impact of whiteness on campus climate.](http://itec.macam.ac.il/portal/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2597) Harvard Educational Review, 80(4), 464-490.
####White Supremacy Culture
- ++ Jones, Kenneth and Tema Okun. 2001. [White Supremacy Culture.](http://www.cwsworkshop.org/PARC_site_B/dr-culture.html) ChangeWork.
- ++ Edewi, Daysha. July 4, 2015. [What is Privilege?](http://www.buzzfeed.com/dayshavedewi/what-is-privilege#.ayPxq09B9) Buzzfeed
- Take the privilege test.
- ++ Cambell, Ryan. July 2, 2015. [UndocuQueers: How the LGBT and Immigrant Rights Movement Progress Together](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-campbell/undocuqueers-how-the-lgbt-and-immigrant-rights-movement-progress-together_b_7689118.html)
- A demonstrative case.
- Ferguson, Sarah. 2012. [Race, Gender, Sexuality, and Social Class: Dimensions of Inequality](http://www.amazon.com/Race-Gender-Sexuality-Social-Class/dp/1412991943)
##Predictive data analysis
- ++ Anna Maria Barry-Jester, Ben Casselman and Dana Goldstein. AUG 4, 2015, [Should Prison Sentences Be Based On Crimes That Haven’t Been Committed Yet?](http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/prison-reform-risk-assessment/)
##Sexism, Classism, and More
- ++ Henn, Steve. Oct 21, 2014. [When Women Stopped Coding.](http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding) NPR: Planet Money.
####Classism: exploitation of workers/poverty/
- ++ Tirado, Linda. Oct 22, 2013. [Why I Make Terrible Decisions, or, poverty thoughts.](http://killermartinis.kinja.com/why-i-make-terrible-decisions-or-poverty-thoughts-1450123558) Killer Martinis.
- Tirado, Linda. ["Linda Tirado: ‘It was insane. I got 20,000 emails in a week’."](http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/linda-tirado-poverty-hand-to-mouth-interview) Interview by Rachel Cooke. The Guardian.
- Crosley-Corcoran, Gina. [Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person](http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person)
####Xenophobia - immigrant issues
- ++ Roth, Wendy. 2012. ["How Immigration Changes Concepts of Race."](https://csde.washington.edu/news/docs/Roth%20paper_CDSE%20seminar.pdf) Pp. 1-31 in Race Migrations: Latinos and the Cultural Transformation of Race. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
- ++ Anne. Nov 19, 2010. [What is Ableism? Five Things About Ableism You Should Know.](http://disabledfeminists.com/2010/11/19/what-is-ableism-five-things-about-ableism-you-should-know/) Forward.
##Diversity and Science
- ++ Gould, Stephen. 1996. Chapter 7. A Positive Conclusion: The Mismeasure of Man. New York, NY: Norton & Company
- Moss-Racusin, Corinne A., et al. ["Science faculty’s subtle gender biases favor male students."](http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474.abstract) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109.41 (2012): 16474-16479.
- Charles, Maria. May 20, 2011. [What Gender is Science?.](http://contexts.org/articles/what-gender-is-science/). Contexts.
- Zuberi, Tukufu. 2000. ["Deracializing Social Statistics: Problems in the Quantification of Race."](http://www.jstor.org/stable/1049479) The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.
- Warneke, R.B. et al. 1997. [Improving question wording in surveys of diverse populations.](http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9250628) American Epidemiology.
####Diversity and Learning
- ++ Gurin, P., Dey, E. L., Hurtado, S., & Gurin, G. (2002). [Diversity and higher education: Theory and impact on educational outcomes.](http://hepgjournals.org/doi/abs/10.17763/haer.72.3.01151786u134n051) Harvard Educational Review, 72(3), 330-367
- Tervalon, Melanie, and Jann Murray-Garcia. ["Cultural humility versus cultural competence: a critical distinction in defining physician training outcomes in multicultural education."](https://pritzker.uchicago.edu/documents/CulturalCompetency.pdf) Journal of health care for the poor and underserved 9.2 (1998): 117-125.